The 2016 Manly Wade Wellman Award for North Carolina Science Fiction and Fantasy covers science fiction and fantasy novels published in 2015 by North Carolina authors.
This is the nominees list published June 3, 2016, which is the result of voter selection from the final eligibility list through the nominations process.
The list is presented in alphabetical order by primary author last name:
- Raising Hell by John G. Hartness (Falstaff Books)
- The Mussorgsky Riddle by Darin Kennedy (Curiosity Quills)
- Iron and Blood by Gail Z. Martin and Larry N. Martin (Solaris Books)
- Vendetta by Gail Z. Martin (Solaris Books)
- War of Shadows by Gail Z. Martin (Orbit Books)
- Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon (Dial Books)
(There are 6 nominees due to there being 3 nominees by a single author.)
The Manly Wade Wellman Award was founded in 2013 to recognize outstanding achievement in science fiction and fantasy novels written by North Carolina authors. The 2016 award, voted on by the combined membership of North Carolina science fiction and fantasy conventions (illogiCon, ConCarolinas, ConTemporal, and ConGregate), covers novels published in 2015. Nominations opened at illogiCon in January and the nominees were announced at ConCarolinas in June ahead of the final voting round, with the award being presented at ConGregate in July.
The award is named for long-time North Carolina author Manly Wade Wellman with the permission of his estate.