The 2014 Manly Wade Wellman Award for North Carolina Science Fiction and Fantasy covers science fiction and fantasy novels published in 2013 by North Carolina authors.
The list is presented in alphabetical order by primary author last name:
- The Heretic by Tony Daniel and David Drake (Baen)
- Vaporware by Richard Dansky (JournalStone)
- Monsters of the Earth by David Drake (Tor)
- Darwen Arkwright and the School of Shadows by A.J. Hartley (Razorbill)
- The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty (Orbit)
- Ice Forged by Gail Z. Martin (Orbit)
(There are 6 nominees due to a tie for 5th place.)
The Manly Wade Wellman Award was founded to recognize outstanding achievement in science fiction and fantasy novels written by North Carolina authors. The 2014 award, voted on by the combined membership of North Carolina science fiction and fantasy conventions (illogiCon, ConCarolinas, ConTemporal, and ConGregate), covers novels published in 2013. Nominations opened at illogiCon in January ahead of a final voting round, with the award being presented at ConGregate in July. If you are a member of one of the member conventions and are not yet registered to vote, please submit a registration form as detailed on the nominations page and a secure ballot will be provided to you as soon as possible.
The award is named for long-time North Carolina author Manly Wade Wellman with the permission of his estate.